Orion Minerals recognises that environmental performance is a critical component of our business. Orion aims to deliver the highest level of environmental compliance, with a commitment to monitor and manage the environmental impacts of our activities. As part of this focus, Orion is fully committed to the use of renewable energy across our operations, with a carbon neutral roadmap in place and a long-term target for both the Prieska and Okiep Projects to be 100% powered by renewable energy.
South Africa’s Northern Cape is one of the world’s premier renewable energy hubs, with abundant solar and wind power generation. The Company is also focused on water conservation and recycling, with a strategy to make tailings water available for re-use, with any excess delivered to local communities for irrigation.
This commitment to strong environmental stewardship reflects Orion’s mission to produce future-facing metals to support the green energy revolution.
As part of our overall environmental management strategy, Orion Minerals:
- Complies with all environmental laws and regulations as a minimum standard.
- Has a strict environmental management programme to guide our operations.
- Ensures all employees understand and adhere to our environmental management program.
- Conducts periodic reviews of our operations to monitor environmental performance.
- Adheres to best practice standards in reporting of environmental incidents.
- Minimises our environmental impact and supports environmental improvement programs of common benefit.